ND13 "Reduce Transmission Pipeline Risk through Design and Location of New Utilities and Related Infrastructure"
Practice Statement Utilities (both above and below ground) and related infrastructure should be preferentially located and designed to reduce the consequences that could result from a transmission pipeline incident and to reduce the potential of interference with transmission pipeline maintenance and inspections.
Utilities that cross and/or parallel transmission pipelines should be developed in close cooperation with the pipeline operator to avoid costly relocation of the pipeline or potential conflict with pipeline operations and maintenance. Items to consider include:
- The transmission pipeline's horizontal and vertical orientation must be considered, including any offset distance required by the transmission pipeline operator.
- Utilities crossing the transmission pipeline should be designed so they do not interfere with the pipeline, including its cathodic protection, and should assure the transmission pipeline operator has access to the pipeline.
- To the extent possible, design and construction of underground utilities and related infrastructure should try to minimize potential "migration paths" that could allow leaks from the pipeline to migrate to buildings.
Coordination with the transmission pipeline operator during planning and construction is critical, especially given the history of transmission pipeline incidents associated with utility installation and maintenance.
- Common Ground Alliance Best Practices
- American Petroleum Institute (API) Recommended Practice (RP) 1102, "Steel Pipelines Crossing Railroads And Highways" , 7th edition, 2007, API Product Number: D11021
- 49 CFR 192.467
- American Petroleum Institute (API) Recommended Practice (RP) 1162, Public Awareness Programs for Pipeline Operators
- Navigate to Other Practices:
- Baseline (BL) Recommended Practices: BL01 BL02 BL03 BL04 BL05 BL06 BL07 BL08 BL09 BL10 BL11 BL12 BL13 BL14 BL15 BL16 BL17 BL18
- New Development (ND) Recommended Practices: ND01 ND02 ND03 ND04 ND05 ND06 ND07 ND08 ND09 ND10 ND11 ND12 ND13 ND14 ND15 ND16 ND17 ND18 ND19 ND20 ND21 ND22 ND23 ND24 ND25 ND26 ND27 ND28
- Table of Recommended Practices