The PIPA Toolbox provides useful resources and information related to the Pipelines and Informed Planning Alliance (PIPA) and the PIPA recommended practices. This includes information about upcoming events where PIPA and the PIPA recommended practices will be presented and discussed. It also includes various resources and files such as PIPA-related graphics, documents, presentations, links, press releases, and articles.
- PIPA Logos: Download a zipped file of the PIPA logos in color, black & white, and white knockout versions.
- PIPA Graphic Standards
- PIPA Website Button:
Work with your website administrator to place the PIPA logo on your website and link back to the Land Use Planning (PIPA) website. Copy and paste this code wherever you want the button to appear:
<a href="http://primis.phmsa.dot.gov/comm/pipa/LandUsePlanning.htm"> <img src="http://primis.phmsa.dot.gov/comm/images/PIPA-Logo-small2.jpg"></a>
PIPA Risk-Informed Land Use Planning Documents
- PIPA Checklist for Land Development Near Transmission Pipelines (PDF format)(MS Word document)
- PIPA Evaluation Tool for Pipeline Operators (PDF format)(MS Word document)
- PIPA Evaluation Tool for Local Governments (PDF format)(MS Word document)
- PIPA Evaluation Tool for Property Developer/Owner (PDF format)(MS Word document)
- PIPA Report: Partnering to Further Enhance Pipeline Safety In Communities Through Risk-Informed Land Use Planning: Final Report of Recommended Practices
- PIPA Risk Report: Building Safe Communities: Pipeline Risk and its Application to Local Development Decisions
- "Pipelines and Informed Planning Alliance (PIPA): Summary Report for Elected and Appointed County Officials" (NACo, published June 2011)
- PIPA Brochure for Local Governments
- PIPA Brochure for All Stakeholders
- Transportation Research Board Special Report 281, Transmission Pipelines and Land Use: A Risk-Informed Approach
- Annotated List of Documents Related to Risk-Informed Land-Use Planning (edited May 1, 2009)
- Pipeline Safety Trust, “Results of Technical Assistance Grant from PHMSA” - Final report on PST research on how best to provide "local public officials" the information and assistance they need that would lead to adoption of the "Consultation Zone" noted in PIPA recommended practices BL04 and BL05.
- Pipeline Safety Trust, “Need for Better Planning Near Pipelines” - Provides links to major documents and other links related to land use planning near transmission lines.
- Municipal Research and Services Center of Washington, “Planning Near Pipelines” - This series of web pages on planning near pipelines discusses the risks posed by tranmission transmission pipelines and is designed to enhance public safety and health of those who live or work near those pipelines by improving local government land use planning and permitting practices the vicinity of transmission pipelines.
- Municipal Research and Services Center of Washington, "Sample Land Use Ordinances" - This page, part of the MRSC's Planning Near Pipelines section, contains sample land use ordinances which contain some of the best practices for planning near pipelines.
PIPA Presentations, Press Releases, and Articles - follow this link for more
PHMSA/DOT does not endorse particular external organizations and the listing of these organizations does not imply PHMSA/DOT endorsement. If you would like to add a relevant pipeline safety organization to this list, please submit your request to Christie.Murray@dot.gov.